Thursday, January 1, 2009

I need to get my ass moving day.

The new year provokes many thoughts about one's life and the direction in which it is moving. As we divide the time in our lives into these divisions called "years" to better keep track of our experiences and accomplishments, we note that we have come to the end of one of these divisions, these chronological categories with which we chronologically classify out achievements. And that leads us in to thinking, "Uhh what exactly did I DO this past year? Was it enough? Did I accomplish every one of the dreams and goals that I'd laid out for myself, or at least a sufficient number of them?"
Now if you're a thinker and a dreamer like me, chances are that the answer is "no." I still want to visit the remaining 28 states I have never set foot in. I want to finish getting my degree. I want to still go on an African safari. I want to do something for the world through which I can prove my worth to humanity, in whatever way this will be, or, in short, I want to fulfill my purpose in life.
Now compare what you've accomplished to what you want to accomplish. Was it enough? Did you come any closer to fulfilling this purpose? Are you still going to have sufficient time and resources to accomplish all of your dreams by the time you won't have the chance to anymore?
I can tell you my answer: ...no. And I think this is a commonality with most people. It seems that for a lot of people, the New Year is a time when people say, "Shit! I've gotta get my ass moving!" This, in my opinion, is where the idea of New Year's resolutions comes from- because people are thinking, "Hmm, I was going to accomplish something or improve some facet of my life but I never got around to it. So now, this year, I'm going to focus and get my ass moving."
They should just rename New Year's Day to "I need to get my ass moving" Day.
And while they're at it rename New Year's Eve as "stay up late and get drunk off your ass" Day...but that's off-topic.
So I've got a question for you all. Are you someone who thinks, "I should really get my ass moving" this holiday season? If so, what is it that you want to accomplish in 2009? Leave a comment below, or if you're feeling especially passionate, record a video response.
HAPPY INTGMAM Day everyone, and I will talk to you later! BAHH

No comments: