Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I wrote this in my notebook on the bus home, then transcribed it

I have never wanted a starman more in my life. We're stucking fuck. There must have been an accident, here between Paxton and Buckley. A 3-hour bus ride is quite possibly the last thing in my life I'd want to prolong. Usually, I do enjoy life on the road...but usually, when I'm on the road, I have the freedom of driving wherever I want.
I have gum in my mouth. I'm contemplating swallowing.
It's going to be awesome not having classes all week, next week. And seeing my dogs, and my mom. Having been at college for three months now, I'm a bit confused regarding what "home" is to me right now. It'll be a strange feeling going back to what I considered home undisputedly for the fifth through eighteenth years of my life.
Because I was bored, the first thing I thought of to do was to draw a map of the section of Illinois I would traverse during this bus ride home. Champaign, Rantoul, Paxton, Buckley, Onarga, Gilman, Ashkum, Clifton, Chebanse, Kankakee, Manteno, I-80. Oh my God, we're only now at Onarga. This bus isn't going to get to Woodridge until at least 9:15 at this rate (it's 7:30 now).
I really don't have much to do now, other than write in this notebook--oh, now we're at Gilman and US24. Oh damnit, he's hitting the brakes again....Phew, it wasn't for long.
Here's the reason why I bought my Pikachu t-shirt. It helps me discern the strong people from the weak people; the awesome people from the lemmings. (Now passing Ashkum.) If someone makes a snotty remark about the shirt, I know I'm dealing with a lemming who just follows what the crowd says is right. Yes, it is a little different. But why can't it be like a shirt with Looney Tunes, a Nickelodeon television show from the 90's, or some other pop-culture reference we remember from when we were kids? Did people seriously never get over the "Pokemon is gay" phase most people went through when they got through junior high?
These are exactly the people I refer to when I use the term "lemming"-- people who, because they are men, have to be "manly"-- people who, because they are in college, have to party and get wasted-- people who, because they are black, have to listen to hip-hop--people who, because they are retarded, have to listen to Souljaboy...okay, that last one was just a theory I made up...because I can't explain why ANYONE would listen to that!
Awesome, Kankakee now.
If you haven't noticed, these statements of what people "have to do" are all STEREOTYPES! These people, the ones I refer to as lemmings, are living their lives by stereotypes, preconceived notions of what they are "supposed to be". How weak is that? They're living their lives by other people's standards as opposed to the standards they create themselves! It's pathetic, and yet, there are so many people who are like this. They don't think for themselves and construct their own opinions; they live by others' thoughts and conceptions. These people also tend to be religious, too, because they can't construct their own collection of beliefs. They instead rely on a set of religious beliefs and a series of stereotypes. Here's what strength is: renouncing that. Renouncing being a lemming. And when people start talking about my Pikachu shirt in a non-negative fashion, I know I have a strong person. Someone who has their own opinions of what's right and what's wrong. Not some beliefs they picked up in junior high that "Pokemon is gay."

No comments: