Saturday, November 24, 2007

I'm looking at my life, one to six years into the future. How I can't wait to be free. I can do whatever I want (within monetary restrictions). I look at how my mom wants a lot of things, and how my dad doesn't want to do enough work to get her those things. And I think about it....who needs things? What does owning stuff do for you?

My mom has a certain towel rack in the bathroom that holds towels that we aren't supposed to use. So what is the purpose of those towels? To look pretty? Mom sees it as decoration; I see it as a waste.

I guess the suburbs are a nice place to live. I don't think we need this large of a house, though. How is it any more useful to us to have a house that costs $100,000 more than someone else's?

You can spend $140 on a fancy light fixture you can put up in your house, and it'll sit there forever- well, until it breaks. Or you can spend $60 on gas and $80 on a hotel room and explore some new destination. The object doesn't last forever, but the experience does. I'd rather spend the money on experiencing something and doing what I love than having some material object.

I think that when I'm out of college, I'll be staying in a small house or apartment somewhere, and saving all the surplus income I get to invest in more experiences. I'll have the everyday costs that go toward rent/mortgages, energy bills, phone bills, water bills, taxes, food, clothing, and other expenses. But almost everything else will go toward traveling and exploring.

No comments: